- For parents of current PUF funded children, please contact Dana Stephenson by email: email@example.com with questions or for more information on our PUF programming for 2020-2021.
- Optional PUF Families Open House on Monday, December 2nd, 2019, 4:30-6:00pm
- Optional Open House for ALL interested families: Monday, January 20th, 2020 from 4:30-6:00pm.
Online Application indicating interest in a spot in the 2020-2021 Kindergarten class will open: Wednesday, January 22nd, 2020 at 9:00am. APPLICATION NOW CLOSED.
IF YOU HAD A PREVIOUS CONVERSATION WITH DANA REGARDING PUF OR TO BE ADDED TO OUR WAIT LIST, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO: firstname.lastname@example.org OR USE THE CONTACT US ON THIS WEBSITE.
- Please Note: THE APPLICATION WILL BE OPEN FOR TWO HOURS MINIMUM UP TO THE END OF THE DAY MAXIMUM, THEN THE APPLICATION PROCESS WILL BE CLOSED.
- This is NOT a first come, first served process, instead, applications are reviewed to fill limited spots while attempting to maintain a balanced classroom environment which is supportive for all children in the class. Spots for PUF funded children are filled first. Siblings of past students are not given priority. Students who have attended Buds & Blossoms or It Takes A Village Preschool are not given priority.
- Those who receive a spot in the Kindergarten class will be contacted by email 2 weeks after the Application Date. A private link to the full online Registration Package on School Plus will be emailed out within a month.
- Those who are Wait Listed will receive an email 2 weeks after Application Date. Please register in another Kindergarten program (see list of other Kindergarten Programs below).
- Registration fee is $450 for the year. Payment can be made by e-transfer to email@example.com (preferred) or cheque.
- A copy of your child’s Birth Certificate will not be required to Apply, on during the Online Registration process.
*we are a run by a Parent Volunteer Board made up of parents from the current Kindergarten class. There will be an AGM Board meeting in May which is MANDATORY for at least 1 parent of each Kindergarten child to attend, where the board will be elected. The President and Treasurer have signing authority for cheques which are approved by the Administrator and are written and documented by our Bookkeeper, Karla Jackson Bookkeeping.
*our Parent Board is extremely important to our program and we can’t run the school (including Administration of our Kindergarten program and a number of preschool and day homes) without parents who are willing to show up for meetings, give input to and make decisions.
*we are in the process of applying to volunteer for and receive Casino funds every 2nd year. We will rely on our parents to volunteer on our dates. During the Application Process, parents commit to volunteering either during their child’s Kindergarten year OR the year after, depending on our school’s dates.
*we have a Wellness Model which focuses on the development of skills in the areas of: Social Thinking (We Thinkers), self regulation (The Zones of Regulation), emotional regulation (Emotional Intelligence-EQ), Move To Learn / Sensory awareness (using movement and tools throughout the day to get ready to learn, building a strong core and strong whole body, learning to be regulated first before focusing on Academic skills).
*all children in the class are screened and if required, assessed, by our speech language, occupational and physio therapists in September through our Early Childhood Screening Process
*we are a FULL DAY Kindergarten – 8:30am-3:20pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays with some Flex Days booked throughout the year on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays for: Skating Lessons, Playball, 1-2 field trips, Parent workshops, etc. The schedule for the year is posted on our School Calendar.
*Parent Sessions will be offered in the evenings once a month about 4-5 times throughout the year. These will be presented by therapists from our team on various topics such as: Managing Challenging Behaviours (Psychologist), Fine Motor Skills (Occupational Therapist), Gross Motor Skills (Physiotherapist), Sensory Processing & Self Regulation (Occupational Therapist) and We Thinkers – Social Thinking Skills (Speech and Language Therapist). It is hoped that Kindergarten parents will attend a number of these sessions to gain a better understanding of why and how our classroom functions, our philosophy and how to better support their own child’s Early Childhood Development at home and in years to come.
*DOG ALLERGY ALERT : our teacher/Administrator is a Service Dog puppy raiser so has service pups in training in the classroom on a regular basis.
Contact Information for Kindergarten programs in Cochrane:
~The Little Schoolhouse, Bragg Creek, both Reggio Emelia Preschool and Kindergarten classes. FULL DAY Kindergarten T/Th and half day Preschool MWF. (an Early Childhood Services program – ECS) They have small class sizes, Early Childhood screenings, supports for speech, occupational therapies, etc. and Early Interventions for children who require extra supports. https://www.thelittleschoolhouse.ca/
~Kindergarten classes offered at Rockyview Schools: Ranchview, Elizabeth Barrett, Glenbow, Cochrane Christian, Fireside and Westbrook Schools. (http://www.rockyview.ab.ca/registration/cochrane)
~FULL DAY Kindergarten is offered at number of locations in the Cochrane Area: Westbrook School-T/Th alternating Fri. (http://www.rockyview.ab.ca/registration/cochrane), Cochrane Christian-M/W and T/Th both with alternating Fri. (http://cca.rockyview.ab.ca/), Ecole Notre Dame des Valles-5 full days (http://ndv.cscfsa.ab.ca/).
~Foothills Creative Beginnings (FCB) (http://creativebeginnings.ca/). (an Early Childhood Services program – ECS) They have small class sizes, Early Childhood screenings, supports for speech, occupational therapies, etc. and Early Interventions for children who require extra supports. Both Kindergarten (half days) and Preschool (2,3 and 4 half days) Programming is available.
~PIP (Preschool Intervention Program), 2 classes for ages 3-6 years old, Rocky View Schools’ Early Childhood Services, located in Elizabeth Barrett School, supports children aged 3 to 5 years old with severe developmental needs and 3 ½ to 5 year olds with mild/moderate needs. PIP provides specialized service for preschool aged children with needs to be supported within their own community. It provides children with small class sizes, small adult-child ratios, language enriched environments, family orientated programming sessions, and transitions to the next year. (http://www.rockyview.ab.ca/programs_services/earlyintervention)
~Montessori: Cochane is home to two Montessori programs: Tiny Town (http://www.tinytownmontessori.com) and Cochrane Valley (http://cvms-edu.ca/index.html). Both offer programming for 3,4 and 5 year olds (including Kindergarten programming).
~French Immersion and Francophone offered at: Ecole Notre Dame des Vallees (http://ndv.cscfsa.ab.ca), Glenbow Elementary and Elizabeth Barrett Elementary Schools. (http://www.rockyview.ab.ca/registration/cochrane)
~Numerous Childcare Centers in Cochrane also offer Kindergarten Programs along with Before & After Care, daycare and preschool.